The personal injury attorneys at the Griffin Law Firm recommend that you take the following steps immediately after an auto accident occurs:
- Call the Police: It is important that you call the police at the scene of an auto accident. This allows the police to document who was at fault, who the drivers and passengers were, and to evaluate if drugs or alcohol were involved. When talking to the police, you should say calm and explain exactly what happened including what the other driver did wrong.
- Tag Information: You should write down or take a photo of the negligent driver’s tag as soon as possible. This information would help the police track down the negligent driver if he or she leaves before the police arrive. If the negligent driver does hit and run, then we can pursue additional punitive damages.
- Witness Information: You should get the contact information for any witnesses to the auto accident and ask them to stay until the police arrive. Our attorneys will obtain recorded statements when needed to establish liability in your case.
- Defendant Information: You should write down the negligent driver’s contact information and insurance information if possible. Don’t worry if the defendant won’t provide this information because it will be on the police report.
- Property Damage Photographs: You should take photographs of the damage all of the vehicles, as well as, the positions of the automobiles if you can safely do so.
- Medical Treatment: If you need emergency medical treatment, then an ambulance may be the safest approach. You should also get any follow medical treatment you need without gaps in care. Our attorneys can help you get the medical treatment you need using your health insurance or med pay coverage, or if needed through doctor liens or medical funding.
- Insurance Adjusters: We do not recommend that you contact the negligent driver’s insurance adjuster without representation. Recorded statements should be avoided until you speak to us to prevent the adjuster from twisting your words into excuses to pay less on your claim.
- Insurance Notification: There are often deadlines for providing notice to each of the insurance companies that cover your auto accident claim. We make sure that all liability, uninsured, under-insured, and umbrella policies are provided timely notice to preserve the coverage you may need. For big cases, notification, police limits verification, and proper policy stacking is critical.
- Call Attorney Richard Griffin: We recommend you call the Griffin Law Firm at 877-524-7070 or 877-PAIN-LAW immediately after the accident. The consultation is free, but the information you receive is invaluable. That said, always remember that nothing replaces the value of great legal representation.
Why do you need an attorney? Because studies show that you will recover on average 3.5 times more if you hire an attorney even after paying the attorney fee. We help our clients with the following:
- Get all of the treatment and testing they need;
- Get a settlement or verdict that fully compensates them for their personal injury claim.